Don't worry too much about what this actually means! Basically, it says that you want to create two frames on your page: one of them will take-up 20% of the screen (the left-hand frame) and the other will take-up 80%.
You'll notice that is says: "scrolling=yes". This allows your browser to create a scroll bar down the side of the page if it's needed.
<frameset cols="125,*" border=no frameborder=0 framespacing=0 bordercolor=#ffffff>
<frame src="contents.html" marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 scrolling=no noresize border=no bordercolor=#FFFFFF>
<frame src="start.html" border=no bordercolor=#ffffff name="mainframe">
Note that this does not allow a scroll-bar to be created and does not include a border.
OK. Now you have your frames set up, how do you use them?
Linking pages to frames
You'll notice in both of the options above I have coloured sections of the tags. This is to make it easier to explain. The tag requires you to specify the names of the HTML documents that you want to appear on the screen when someone first downloads your homepage.
In both cases, the name of the document that appears in the left-hand frame is in red. In this example, it is called "contents.html". This can be changed to match whatever name is relevant to your site.
The page marked in green is the one that will originally appear in the right-hand frame (here it's called "start.html"). Change this so it is relevant to your homepage.
The tag marked in blue (mainframe) is the name I gave to the right-hand frame. This can also be changed to anything you like. It is this bit that will allow you to link to other pages.
Let me explain...
When you create basic links from one page to another (as explained in "links"), you simply insert:
When you create a link in a homepage that has frames, you have to tell your browser WHERE you want the new page to appear. This is called the target point.
If you have set-up your frames as above, using the word "mainframe", you have to tell your browser that you want the new page to appear in the frame that you have called "mainframe". We do this by adding on to the original link tag as follows:
Summary of Frames
Therefore, the steps to creating and using frames are as follows:
Word of warning
Be careful when you insert links to other people's pages...unless you enter a special tag, their site won't appear properly!
To correctly link to another site, use the following tag:
Notice that the target given here is NOT the usual, "mainframe". Instead, this new tag means that this page will be linked to correctly.
This MUST be used everytime you link to something that you don't want to appear in the right-hand frame.
Good luck with your frames!